Thursday, April 9, 2009

Terri Schiavo Novena

A Novena is a prayer that is said once a day, every day for nine consecutive days. It is usually for some purpose other than spiritual growth, but there are novenas for just about everything.

This is a novena for life. This prayer, you will notice, mentions Terri Schiavo. Terri is a young woman who married at a very young age. The prominent theory is that she was physically abused by her husband, and one day she fell over "a vegetable". After years of depending on a feeding tube, her husband wanted to remarry and successfully claimed legal custody over Terri from her parents. Against her parents' wishes, her husband had the feeding tube removed, and she starved to death over the course of days. This occurred a few years ago.



Lord God, I thank You today for the gift of my life,and for the lives of all my brothers and sisters. I know that life is always a good,and that it never loses its value when it is beset by weakness or injury. Lord, thank You for the life of Terri Schindler-Schiavo.Even in her suffering and death she revealed Your glory and truth that life is always sacred. As I remember Terri, I also commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement,and never to stop defending life until all my brothers and sisters are protected, and our nation once again becomes a nation with liberty and justice not just for some, but for all.Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment