Friday, April 10, 2009

Invisible Children

So, I was just following SwitchFoot on Twitter and decided to look up Invisible Children again.
Invisible Children
The Rescue
I have stumbled across Invisible Children twice before. Every time I go on InvisibleChildren.com, the injustices I read about make me sick. It's an absolutely repulsive idea to me that although we do not necessarily look the same, share the same beleifs, or live on the same continent, the children of North Uganda are being abused in a way I'm not sure my imagination can match. We are all people. The only thing separating me from them is the ocean. The only reason this is happening to them and not me is chance. I happened to be born here. I got lucky. Here I sit with internet access, a hoodie, jeans, and boots, three half-full bottles of water on my desk, an electric lamp, and a boom box that's on even though the CD ended a while ago. Around this room I have materials for hobbies, a bookcase stuffed with books, blankets, posters, stuffed animals, and piles of laundry. My parents are downstairs, my sisters sleeping in the room next to mine. These children have been torn away from their families and everything they know and trust to learn and even become a part of a very cold life no one should live, much less a child. They learn violence, rape, murder, bloodshed, lies and distrust. This is all they come to know, and I feel very selfish that I know all this, yet here I sit, as if there was no more on my mind than an English paper. I know there is a reason for all of this, but I have no idea what it is. I don't know what I can do. I do know that becoming depressed by this, although it seems a logical response, accomplishes nothing. I do know that I have not been given these gifts just so I could take them for granted or to forfeit them, but to use them the best that I know how so I can grow and become the best person I can possibly be and also to touch other people's lives. I know that I can directly affect the lives of the people around me, and I know laughter is not a bad thing. I know that for the time being, until I have an action to make, the most I can do is stay informed and be aware and pray. I think these are key to all movements and all positions, so I will definitely practice them myself. For now, this is my passion and my call.

No comments:

Post a Comment