Sunday, July 4, 2010

"Too cowardly to take a life?"

- "What's the matter boy? Too cowardly to take a life?"
- (lowers sword) "It's not mine to take."

My favorite words from the Disney movie version of Prince Caspian. Peter and Miraz had been dueling. Realizing his helpless position, Miraz calls for respite. Peter chivalrously grants it, but as he turns to walk away, Miraz moves to attack the unarmed Narnian King from behind. After a sequence of largely hand-to-hand combat, Miraz is found on his knees at the feet of Peter, who has the sword poised to administer the fatal slash. No one moves. In the rush of anger and hate and adreneline, in the heat of battle, these words are whispered. Peter would not kill an unarmed man, even one who has destroyed the kingdom Peter has been given and led and loved, and who was ready to kill Peter in cold blood only moments before. Peter holds himself to a higher standard. His body, his emotions, and his mind are swirling, but he has kept a stable truth at the center of every action. He will not kill an unarmed man, even if it seems justifiable. He shows mercy where it wasn't shown to him. And Aslan returns shortly thereafter.


This is Home
by Switchfoot

I've got my memories
always inside of me
but I can't go back,
back to how it was.

I believe you now.
I've come too far.
No I can't go back,
back to how it was.

Oh, oh, oh.
I'm moving forward.

So every day starts with a magic spark
I got my hopes high with the second start
So you give yourself away with your miracle heart
Yeah, just to be alive is a magic art
We are miracles
every breath is magic

Belief over misery
I've seen the enemy
and I won't go back
back to how it was

and I got my heart set
on what happens next
I got my eyes wide
it's not over yet
we are miracles and we're not alone

That's when every day starts with a magic spark
I got my hopes high with the second start
we are miracles, every breath is magic

That's when you give yourself away with your miracle heart.
Yeah, just to be alive is a magic art
We are miracles, every breath is magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment