Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Thought On Song

When I listen to some songs, I want to vomit. In these, I hear deceit, pain, fear, the cry of the lost, despair convinced it's found life in emptiness. There is no beauty to be found in these, no art, no love, no life.
When I listen to other songs I get a headache because they have no true substance, yet have the following of nations bc of the name or company backing them, they would never thrive even if they did manage to survive in the music market for the songs themselves.
When I listen to other songs, I start laughing bc they view a serious or ordinary object or action in a completely unconventional yet truthful light that makes it seem totally different. The idea would be considered insane if the song didn't explain it, but even after the song ends the conventional continues unphased.
When I listen to other songs, I start daydreaming and I allow the music to carry me somewhere I've never been.
When I listen to other songs, I begin to think and question and doubt enough to not feel secure in what I take for granted, they point me back toward what I value, toward death and love and life and suffering, toward the unseen realities. They remind me to remind myself of the significance of existance and what it all comes down to, what matters most.
Then there are songs that cause me to forget how to breathe. These are the songs that capture a moment of beauty and convert it into an auditory portrait that leaves me wishing it possible to jump into the canvas of soundwaves, leaving the world behind forever, living in that moment of relative bliss. Is it possible?



"It hits me that she won't see this skyline for several weeks, and we will be without her. I lean forward, knowing this will be written, and I ask what she'd say if her story had an audience. She smiles. 'Tell them to look up. Tell them to remember the stars.'
I would rather write her a song, because songs don't wait to resolve, and because songs mean so much to her. Stories wait for endings, but songs are brave things bold enough to sing when all they know is darkness."
~ twloha.com

Is it possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment